EF Ultimate Break inspires young adults to sign-up for life-changing travel experiences across the globe! EF Ultimate Break is a division of EF Education First and is the easiest way to travel abroad for anyone 18-29 years old.
We are looking for a Software Development Manager who brings technical vision and proven expertise to enable our customers and business with best-in-class travel e-commerce experiences and tools. You will help grow a passionate, fast-moving team with a demonstrated record of success where collaboration and innovation are foundational.
What you’ll do:
You will lead a small, cross-functional, empowered engineering team (of around 4 developers) working closely with other developers, designers, product management and business leadership in building customer facing web applications and back-office commerce solutions. As a Software Development Manager, you will have end-to-end ownership of the architecture and implementation of software deliverables, as well as the responsibility for growing the skills of your team. You will be expected to ensure the software we write is universally high quality, and to support your developers through mentorship, feedback, code reviews, and advancement of internal tools and processes.
You will be doing things like:
- Collaborating with business leaders to define a technology roadmap aimed at business value and supported by a practical, thoughtful technical vision
- Mentoring developers working with React, Node.JS, Docker, MongoDB and REST APIs in implementing new microservices and applications from the ground up in an efficient and sustainable AWS ecosystem
- Contributing to the craft of software development by discussing new technologies, patterns and tools, and sharing best practices within the team and across the engineering organization
Who you are:
- You are passionate about your work and thrive in a collaborative environment.
- You get excited about how technology can unlock business value and growth.
- You are excited to grow the skills and capabilities of the team alongside your own development.
- You are a proactive manager: you aren’t afraid to dive into the weeds and get your hands dirty to help your team pull their work across the finish line.
We’re looking for:
- 2+ years’ experience managing and coaching colleagues more junior than yourself
- Deep knowledge of a popular and strongly typed language, like Java or C#, applied in a professional environment developing applications for re-use and scale
- Previous success architecting from scratch, shipping and maintaining a large-scale web application backed by integrated homegrown and off the shelf solutions
- Experience working in e-commerce and/or on consumer-facing web applications
- Passion for leveraging the best possible technology tool for a given problem, and an aptitude for learning and using new technologies, balanced by a pragmatic approach to delivering incremental business value
Other useful skills include:
- Experience with a modern headless CMS
- Experience with Agile/Scrum/Kanban methodologies
- Experience with ERP systems or the travel industry
- Experience working in modern front-end frameworks and libraries such as React
- Experience with GraphQL using frameworks such as Apollo
- Enthusiasm for modern DevOps practices (including containerization and continuous integration/deployment)
Benefits and perks:
We believe that happy people do great work. What makes us happy? Things like:
- The opportunity to travel internationally with our customers (and without too, of course)
- Three weeks paid vacation your first year, and four weeks after your first year
- Free in-house language classes
- A restaurant and bar right inside our building
- Discounts on EF products including our travel and language programs
- Market-leading benefits package including top of the line family health coverage, 401k with company match, tuition reimbursement, and more
EF is the world’s largest international education company – providing life-changing educational experiences to create global citizens. We offer millions of people the opportunity to learn a language, travel abroad, experience another culture or earn an academic degree. Since 1965, EF’s mission has been opening the world through education. Our 52,000 employees have a worldwide presence in over 600 schools and offices within 50 countries.
For more information about EF Ultimate Break, visit https://www.efultimatebreak.com/For more information about our career opportunities, visit www.careers.ef.com