EF Ultimate Break inspires young adults to participate in life-changing travel experiences across the globe. EF Ultimate Break is a division of EF Education First and is the easiest way to travel abroad for anyone 18-29 years old. Every trip gives travelers the chance to make friends, explore new places, and immerse themselves in different cultures – on fun, affordable, life-changing adventures.
The Ultimate Break Engineering team is looking for a Principal Software Engineer to take technical ownership in the construction of a suite of cutting-edge e-commerce and customer relationship management solutions to enable EF Ultimate Break to provide a best-in-class travel e-commerce experience. You will join a passionate, fast-moving team with a proven record of success where collaboration and innovation are foundational.
What you’ll do:
You will lead a cross-functional, empowered engineering team (of around 5 developers) to build modern web applications, lead/marketing automation and web commerce tools. Our group works closely with other engineering teams across the organization, designers, product managers and business leadership. As the technical lead, you will have end-to-end ownership of the architecture and implementation for all software deliverables across the entire infrastructure while providing support and growth to our developers through mentorship, feedback, and code reviews.
What you’ll do:
- Set an architectural strategy that supports the business vision, anticipating scaling-related and technical challenges via thoughtful long-term planning
- Mentor developers working with React, Node.JS, Docker, MongoDB, Dynamo and REST APIs in implementing new microservices from the ground up in an efficient and sustainable AWS ecosystem
- Ensure that the software we write is, universally, high quality
- Dive deep into the core of our custom e-commerce platform by replacing our pricing and inventory applications
- Contribute to the craft of software development by discussing new technologies, patterns and tools, and sharing best practices across the engineering organization
- Identify and address performance issues
Who you are:
- Deep knowledge of, and demonstrated proficiency with, cloud hosting and serverless infrastructure
- Previous success architecting from scratch, shipping and maintaining large-scale web applications backed by both off-the-shelf solutions and homegrown solutions
- Experience working in e-commerce, consumer-facing web applications and/or with ERP solutions
- You are a self-motivated and eager to contribute to the business and team above all else: Whether it’s front-end, back-end, mentoring, architecting – you’ll jump in to move the ball forward.
- You have a passion for leveraging the best possible technology tool for a given problem, and an aptitude for learning and using new technologies, balanced by a pragmatic approach to delivering incremental business value.
Other useful skills include:
- Practical experience with GraphQL using frameworks such as Apollo
- Experience with Agile/Scrum/Kanban methodologies
- Enthusiasm for modern DevOps practices (including containerization and continuous integration/deployment)
Let’s talk about the Perks:
We believe that happy people do great work. What makes us happy? Things like:
- The opportunity to travel internationally with our customers (and without too, of course)
- Three weeks paid vacation your first year, and four weeks after your first year
- Free in-house language classes
- A restaurant and bar right inside our building
- Discounts on EF products including our travel and language programs
- Market-leading benefits package including top of the line family health coverage, 401k with company match, tuition reimbursement, and more
EF is the world’s largest international education company – providing life-changing educational experiences to create global citizens. We offer millions of people the opportunity to learn a language, travel abroad, experience another culture or earn an academic degree. Since 1965, EF’s mission has been opening the world through education. Our 52,000 employees have a worldwide presence in over 600 schools and offices within 50 countries.