EF Ultimate Break inspires young adults to sign-up for life-changing travel experiences across the globe! EF Ultimate Break is a division of EF Education First and is the easiest way to travel abroad for anyone 18-29 years old.
We are looking for a Tech Lead to take technical ownership in the construction of a suite of cutting-edge e-commerce and customer relationship management solutions to enable EF Ultimate Break to provide a best-in-class travel e-commerce experience. You will join a passionate, fast-moving team with a proven record of success where collaboration and innovation are foundational.
What you’ll do:
You will lead a small, cross-functional, empowered engineering team (of around 4 developers) working closely with other developers, designers, product management and business leadership in building modern websites, web apps, lead/marketing automation and web commerce tools. As a technical lead, you will have end-to-end ownership of the architecture and implementation - from brainstorming and design through testing, release and maintenance - for all software deliverables across the entire infrastructure. You will be expected to ensure the software we write is universally high quality, and to support your developers through mentorship, feedback, code reviews, and advancement of internal tools and processes.
You will be doing things like:
- Setting an architectural vision and direction for the team, anticipating scaling-related and technical challenges via thoughtful long-term planning
- Diving deep into the core of our custom e-commerce platform by refining, extending and/or replacing our content/product management systems, merchandising tools, and pricing/inventory applications
- Mentoring developers working with React, Node.JS, Docker, MongoDB and REST APIs in implementing new microservices from the ground up in an efficient and sustainable AWS ecosystem
- Contributing to the craft of software development by discussing new technologies, patterns and tools, and sharing best practices across the engineering organization
- Identifying and addressing performance issues
Who you are:
- You are passionate about your work and thrive in a collaborative environment.
- You get excited about how technology can unlock business value and growth.
- You are self-motivated and eager to contribute to the business and team above all else: Whether it’s front-end, back-end, mentoring, architecting or interfacing with stakeholders – you’ll jump in to move the ball forward.
We’re looking for:
- Deep knowledge of a popular and strongly typed language, like Java or C#, applied in a professional environment developing applications for re-use and scale
- Previous success architecting from scratch, shipping and maintaining a large-scale web application backed by integrated homegrown and off the shelf solutions content management solution
- Experience working in e-commerce and/or on consumer-facing web applications
- Passion for leveraging the best possible technology tool for a given problem, and an aptitude for learning and using new technologies, balanced by a pragmatic approach to delivering incremental business value
- Passion for mentoring and coaching colleagues more junior than yourself: you are excited to grow the skills and capabilities of the team alongside your own development
Other useful skills include:
- Experience with a modern headless CMS
- Experience with Agile/Scrum/Kanban methodologies
- Experience with ERP systems or the travel industry
- Experience working in modern front-end frameworks and libraries such as React
- Experience with GraphQL using frameworks such as Apollo
- Enthusiasm for modern DevOps practices (including containerization and continuous integration/deployment)
Let’s talk about the Perks:
We believe that happy people do great work. What makes us happy? Things like:
- The opportunity to travel internationally with our customers (and without too, of course)
- Three weeks paid vacation your first year, and four weeks after your first year
- Free in-house language classes
- A restaurant and bar right inside our building
- Discounts on EF products including our travel and language programs
- Market-leading benefits package including top of the line family health coverage, 401k with company match, tuition reimbursement, and more
EF is the world’s largest international education company – providing life-changing educational experiences to create global citizens. We offer millions of people the opportunity to learn a language, travel abroad, experience another culture or earn an academic degree. Since 1965, EF’s mission has been opening the world through education. Our 52,000 employees have a worldwide presence in over 600 schools and offices within 50 countries.